Monday, November 28, 2011

Fish In A Bag


They say you can never go wrong with fish. Cooks easy and tastes yum anytime. My experience is that it can go horribly wrong if you don't get the cooking time right or try a marinade that doesn't go with the fish you've chosen.
I happened to cook an interesting dish at the Herbs and Spices restaurant, courtesy the missus, ireboot & Manjeet (the guy who owns the place) a few years ago. The lady g'gifted' me an experience on my B'day and Manjeet was there to guide me in the kitchen. Needless to say, it was an unforgettable evening, probably my best b'day till date.
Back to today. I'd wondered whether I'd be able to replicate this dish at home with an Asian variation. The first time, the marinade and accompaniments were continental with fennel and white wine. Here's the recipe

Ingredients
1 whole fish (preferably one that will fit in your oven easily. I chose black pomfret), cleaned
2tbsp dark soy sauce
1tsp oyster sauce
1 stalk lemon grass, crushed
1tbsp grated galangal
1tsp oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup white wine

Prepare the fish by making slits across the body.

To make the marinade, add the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Pour this over the fish. Gently rub the marinade into the slits and make sure you've coated the fish well. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1hr.
Preheat the oven to 220C and begin preparing the bag. Cut out enough length of parchment paper so you'd be able to place the fish in and fold over. Before folding, add in 1/2 cup of white wine. I did this to allow enough liquid to create steam in the bag.
Start folding the parchment from one end, folding over as you go along so it resembles the picture below
Place in the oven over a rack and let cook for 15mts. My biggest fear was the bag would give way at the bottom considering the liquid in it. This seemed to be unfounded since the label on the packet said it was built to withstand temperatures upto 420F. Here is what it looked like in 15mts and on my plate.


Cut out the parchment carefully making sure you allow the steam to escape before opening it all out. Eat as is  or with some hot fragrant rice.

Notice the marinade had no chillies. I kind of liked it that way. The marinade had turned into a sweet/salt syrupy mix that you could spoon onto the fish as you ate it. Happy with the result. Cooked 4yrs ago, and hadn't forgotten. Thanks Manjeet :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...